Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Easy & Fun Cottage Gatherings


It's been quite a pace hasn't it? Lots of events to plan and attend. Here's a way to have a small informal gathering for visiting family or friends, and not have to do much.



I have a few special vintage tablecloths that I save for something festive, and this is one. But a bold colored tablecloth can serve as the basis of your table decoration. I don't have a flowering garden outside my door, so I am often short of blooms for a centerpiece. But other objects can center the table arrangement and you can let china and linens provide the flowers.






I love using cloth napkins. But I often pick up paper goods that catch my fancy. There are so many fun and beautiful ones around. Pretty paper napkins make a big statement while keeping things easy to put together and clean up.




I have a VERY plain set of clear glass plates that I often use for impromptu or no fuss gatherings, or to extend settings. This one is a bit more special and fun, but still informal. I could use paper plates and make it easier still. But it's no trouble at all for me to use the real thing, and it makes a gathering seem like you went to more trouble than you actually did! 



My refreshments are set up on the patio with easy access from all sides. I usually choose to serve something simple and savory, or just dessert. The point is just to get together, and to keep it simple.



Summer is my time for incorporating lots of color. And what is easier than mix and match? Unmatched cups also makes it easier to track which one is yours! I did try to keep the colors coordinated with the cloth though.



Gotta have spoons. It's just as easy to grab the nice ones. Maybe easier if you have them put away together.



This Royal Albert cup was a gift. I got a set of two trios. My first instinct was that it wasn't my taste. But I love it for a cheery outdoors setting like this one.



I chose teacups. But you could just as easily substitute pretty beverage glasses.



Easy doesn't mean it all has to be paper or plastic. But it shouldn't have to take a lot of thought. People just want to get together.





Let the games begin!
I hope you have lots of easy fun this summer!
Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline




I'm sharing at

32 comments:

  1. Pretty and simple! I love that. I have the same teacup as you - the yellow one with the gold and the roses in the bottom of the cup. It's one of my favorites of my mum's. I am going to do just that this summer - a simple tea in the backyard. I wish you could come. :-)
    Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I love different cups and tea sets to combine together and in this case, the pretty vintage tablecloth pulls everything together beautifuly!! Great tea in the backyard!
    Lots of hugs. Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely gathering, It's great to see you using some color.

    On Sunday I'm hosting "Where do you keep it all?" I'd love to have you join.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Fabby! And Thanks, Pamela! What a charming thought to have me for tea! I'd be honored!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your point is well taken...it is all about getting together and you know how to make it pretty, too. I am always looking for clearance paper napkins for when I have the kids over for lunch or dinner. They really don't appreciate a cloth napkin and I save on laundry time. Pretty, pretty table!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You Tablescaper! And thanks for the invite! I'm afraid I couldn't possibly show you where I keep it all. I want to have a pretty blog! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mixed matched cups and you are so right.... it would make it a lot easier to keep up with who's is who's :) Everything looks beautiful...thanks for sharing the tips
    Q~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely Jacqueline!! I would love to have tea here!!
    Pamela :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love your tablecloth, one of the better ones I have seen in awhile.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wish I could come for a get together,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. so pretty, delicate and girlie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks so pretty, love the tablecloth. I agree about the paper napkins, that is what I usually use

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacqueline,
    This table would honor any guest... and make them feel so welcomed! Who needs flowers when they abound on your delightful vintage tablecloth and the tea cups painted with blooms.
    I love your style. Those little luncheon plates are much better than paper! Good for you!
    Wonderful post... a gentle reminder that it is not what we DO to entertain that is important it is the hospitality in our hearts!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely. I do love your pretty tea cups and that wonderful vintage tablecloth! The colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it all but that tablecloth...swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That tablecloth is amazing Jacqueline! The napkins are fun and I'd choose the yellow tea cup please:@)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This outdoor table and setting is gorgeous! I love all the roses {of course} and the teacups. I also love using clear glass dessert plates, and love that chenille pillow {I have one I made almost exactly like it}; it looks great outside.
    Your blog is so beautiful and inspiring.
    Have a great day!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the pattern of the napkins with that gorgeous tablecloth. Its always fun to go through the array of patterns available now in paper goods, and its such an affordable way to change up the table!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So so pretty. I too have no cutting garden.. it's just too darned hot here. So I'm always looking for different things for the table. Your dishes make the perfect statement. and so true to use the glass plates and the silver (especially if it's a bargain from somewhere!).. love your table.. and your special set up. So very beautiful. Blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a beautiful setting. You are right, easy can still look pretty. I'm going to look for pretty paper napkins too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That vintage tablecloth is so beautiful! Love your table setting with all the different tea cups. So pretty and perfect for some girlfriends getting together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OH, J, I just adore this setting!!! The tablecloth, the teacups, the darling paper napkins; love every single thing. How fun to attend one of your soirees! xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just lovely... I have a vast collection of Vintage Tablecloths and I use them all the time. They also look so pretty just stacked, the variety of colors and designs is simply endless and so very Romantic and versatile.

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely pics but I'm just drooling over the tablecloth. I do a lot of pink and yellow and this is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your wonderful tablecloth is the red carpet for your all star cast of beautiful teacups and accessories...an award winning design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jacqueline (my daughter's name also!)--
    LOVE your linens and teacups!!!
    Soo lovely! Happy PS!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OOH aaaahhh!! Everything is so pretty. I am having an English Tea for my daughter and her best friends with their moms in a few weeks--after their graduation. Your napkins looked like fabric to me--they're beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm seriously envious of your vintage tablecloth! Happy Pink Saturday! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh that tablecloth is my FAVORITE!!!! and that Pillow, Love it! Teacups I'm addicted to, love your dishes too, the whole post is just my style! Happy PS.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your cups and saucers are absolutely beautiful. What a love set to use and enjoy. All of your photos are lovely. HPS from Genie

    ReplyDelete
  30. those glass dishes are incredible! so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lovely tablescape... love love your linens and combination of mismatched china and crystal dishes... so sweet... Thanks for participating in our Show Off Your Cottage Monday and brining me here! Have a most lovely day

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's all absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Don't forget to Look in the Nook.
    ENJOY,
    Jany

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!