Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Something Old, Something New


My silver post of a couple of days ago got me thinking about weddings. I mentioned the old custom of lining invitations up on the mantel. The very next day I received yet another beautiful invitation and I decided to show it to you.


Weddings are bigger than ever. And fabulous invitations are definitely a part of it. But conventions have changed.



A good friend recently confided her disappointment at not being mentioned on the invitation as parent of the groom. Not at all meant to be a slight, it's apparently a recent development in new style weddings.



Sure enough, my niece's lovely invitation mentions neither set of parents. But when I opened it, I was charmed to find a monogrammed seal closing the inner envelope, sort of reminiscent of the antiquated wax seal that I also referred to in my post. 



Attached to ribbon, it opens like a little gift.





It was a delight to open. Mail doesn't usually do that for me. :o)



I'll RSVP right away. In the meantime, my mantel is beginning to look wonderfully old fashioned!



I hope you get some pretty mail today too!
Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline



16 comments:

  1. That is a very pretty invitation. I didn't know it was becoming a trend for the parents to not be on the invitation. I guess there are so many definitions of "family", it's a neccessity for some, that's become a new trend generally.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting the trends I see on wedding invites - some very traditional and some very casual. On another subject - thepolohouse.blogspot.com is having a giveaway with brown transferware and linens - you might be interested! Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "informalness" of weddings is sad to see. When I got married, I did everything by the book. People thought I was a bit too old fashioned. I loved it that way.

    I still love to see brides to formal invitations and hand written thank yous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Jacqueline, have so enjoyed your posts, lovely, romantic and cozy, love everything!!!
    hugs from chile

    ReplyDelete
  5. What gorgeous invitations! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of these weddings are getting a bit too casual. My dear friend, who is in good standing with her daughter, was not invited to her daughter's wedding. That invitation is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so pretty and so romantic!
    love the details!
    take care,
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I can see why it gave you such delight. It's so pretty!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. The invitation is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The new trend in interesting and colorful wedding invitations is delightful. Such a nice departure from the boring and standard ones of old.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is interesting to see how wedding invitations have changed in recent years. Your nieces' invitation is charming! I'm amazed at how much of a budget goes into the invitation. Postage alone for most of these is a major expense. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like the idea of not mentioning the parents...call me old fashioned . Hope my son never does this. It just says to me that its a shelfish me generation.
    I love your last photo ...the beautiful vignette!

    Pamela xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like Sarah above, I don't know where they get the money for all these beautiful invitations and postage and such. I just received a beautiful one, too. Never thought of saving them and putting them on a mantel. I wonder how many I have tossed in the trash. Now, I wish I had them all back. However, out here in West Texas where we have a lot of sandstorms, I have to dust my mantels often. Guess the paper would just get dusty, too.
    I think the parents SHOULD be included but then, maybe I am too old fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jacqueline,

    Thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement.

    Sorry about your friend's invite...don't let it spoil your view of weddings (I don't think it has!) If it's any consolation my sister and her husband included the parents.

    xo

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exquisite! I always keep pretty invitations on a small silver letter tray on the console table in the hall, along with a small silver vase of roses.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!